SPECIAL NOTE:Compulsory core unit for students in new Law degrees, commencing in 2013, with course codes: 63I, 63J, 63K, 63L, 63M, 63N, 63O and 63P.
Key Semester Dates
Final WW Date*
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see Withdrawal dates explained for more information).
The unit aims to introduce students to the study of Public Law and to introduce major themes and ideas which are relevant to both Constitutional Law and Administrative Law. Major themes running through the course will be the use of the law to control the exercise of government power and methods, legal and other, used to ensure governments are accountable for the exercise of power. The course will be divided into 4 related modules:
Module 1. Introduction to the "Ausminster system"
- Sources - Political and legal theory; Constitutional documents, legislation; International Law
- Separation of powers / rule of law etc
- Responsible Government
- Sovereignty- popular and indigenous
- The federal system (flows into module 2)
Module 2. The Parliament and the people
- State Parliaments
- Commonwealth Parliament - interpretation and characterisation
- Delegation of legislative power (flowing into module 3)
Module 3. Executive Power
- Role / functions
- Control over legislative branch? (parties/whips / cabinet)
- Limitations on executive power (flows into module 4)
- The Administrative State - Administrative Law and Administrative Systems
Module 4 Scrutiny of public institutions
- Executive review systems (ICACs / Integrity commissions / FOI)
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Campus - H Hobart, L Launceston, W Burnie. Study Centre - V Sydney, R Rozelle, P Beauty Point. Distance units may also have a campus identifier of I Isolated, N Interstate, O Overseas. Units delivered in Transnational Education (TNE) Programs have a campus identifier of A Hangzhou, F Fuzhou, G Shanghai, K KDU Malaysia, Q Kuwait or Y Hong Kong.