University of Tasmania Home Page Course and Units 2013
 
 This course information is for students studying under a new course structure. Switch to old course structure information.

2013 HPA103 Critical and Creative Thinking

Unit Level: Introductory

Available as a Student Elective: Yes

View timetable of lectures only for this unit.  View ALL timetable events for this unit.

OFFERINGS

Unit Sem 1 Sem 2 Full Yr Spring Summer Winter
HPA103 H
Distance(H,L,W,I,N)

Key Semester Dates
Semester Campus Attendance Note Start Date Census Date Final WW Date* End Date
Sem 1 H Distance 25-FEB-2013 23-MAR-2013 15-APR-2013 31-MAY-2013
Sem 1 H On Campus 25-FEB-2013 23-MAR-2013 15-APR-2013 31-MAY-2013
Sem 1 I Distance 25-FEB-2013 23-MAR-2013 15-APR-2013 31-MAY-2013
Sem 1 L Distance 25-FEB-2013 23-MAR-2013 15-APR-2013 31-MAY-2013
Sem 1 N Distance 25-FEB-2013 23-MAR-2013 15-APR-2013 31-MAY-2013
Sem 1 W Distance 25-FEB-2013 23-MAR-2013 15-APR-2013 31-MAY-2013

* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see Withdrawal dates explained for more information).

About Census Dates

DESCRIPTION
Critical thinking and creative problem-solving are complementary abilities. Thinking critically is a basic skill for tackling problems and clarifying the situation; creative approaches are needed when the problems are messy or the situation remains ill-defined. This unit explores biases in thinking and problem-solving, and provides practical techniques for overcoming them.

WEIGHT: 12.5%

ASSESSMENT:

Tutorial participation (10%); 2 x 500 word quizzes (20% total); 1,500 word assignment (30%); 2-hour exam (40%)

TEACHING PATTERN:

Internal:2 hrs lectures, 1-hr tutorial weekly (13 wks)

External: web-based delivery (13 wks)

FLEXIBLE & ONLINE STUDY OPTIONS
Note: Class attendance may still be required

   Web dependent - H
Some parts of this unit will be taught online
   Fully online - L,I,N,W
This unit is taught entirely online
About Flexible Study Options

TEXTS
Launceston Co-op Bookshop Website - Semester (Sem 1)
Hobart Co-op Bookshop Website - Semester (Sem 1)

STAFF: Staff from the School of Philosophy

FEES
View fees for this unit

KEY

Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.

Campus - H Hobart, L Launceston, W Burnie. Study Centre - V Sydney, R Rozelle, P Beauty Point. Distance units may also have a campus identifier of I Isolated, N Interstate, O Overseas. Units delivered in Transnational Education (TNE) Programs have a campus identifier of A Hangzhou, F Fuzhou, G Shanghai, K KDU Malaysia, Q Kuwait or Y Hong Kong.

Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units - campuses A, F, G, K, Q and Y click here for more information.



University of Tasmania Home Page Authorised by the Academic Registrar
© University of Tasmania | ABN 30 764 374 782 | CRICOS Provider Code 00586B
Copyright and Disclaimers | Accessibility | Feedback, Suggestions and Questions
Info Line 1300 363 864