1. [i] In these Specifications 'Faculty'- means the Faculty of Arts.
[ii] The Faculty may accept as a candidate for the award of Master of Social Work a person who is qualified for entry in accordance with the provisions of the University's Rules of Admission.
Candidates for the Master of Social Work degree will have:
i. a completed three year degree other than social work from the University of Tasmania or a recognised university;
ii. completed components of studies in society [i.e. social science type courses including sociology, political studies, philosophy, indigenous studies, anthropology, history ] and studies of the individual, human behaviour and/or human development [i.e. psychology-type courses].
2. Candidates for the Master of Social Work shall complete the degree requirements, as hereinafter prescribed, in not less than two years full time (or part time equivalent) and not more than five years (or part-time equivalent), from the time of first enrolment. Full-time students are required to enrol in units with a combined weighting of not more than 100%.
3. To qualify for the award, the candidate shall pass two years of full-time study or its part-time equivalent, comprising compulsory academic and fieldwork units.
4. The units which may be included in a course for the award shall, unless otherwise approved by the Dean, be in accordance with the Schedule accompanying these specifications.
5. Units may be counted towards the award only if they have been taken in accordance with prerequisites determined by the faculty and as summarised in the Schedule.
6. Full-time students are required to enrol in units with a combined weighting of not more than 100% per year; exceptions must be approved by the Head of School of Sociology and Social Work.
7. Where two or more units of the same name or content are offered within the University, only one may be counted towards the award.
8. In every case the candidate's choice of units and the order in which they are taken shall be subject to approval by the Dean in accordance with the requirements of paragraph 3.
9. Students who withdraw from or fail either Social Work Practicum 1 or Social Work Practicum 2 Practicum will not be permitted to enrol in more than one additional placement (for a total of no more than three enrolments) without the permission of the head of School of Sociology and Social Work. Credit for Previous Studies 9. Passes in subjects or units in courses (completed or otherwise) at another approved tertiary institution may be credited towards the degree, provided that the Faculty may specify what more a candidate so credited shall be required to do to qualify for the degree.
10. The Faculty may from time to time make amendments to the Schedules to these specifications.
11. These specifications shall take effect on 1 January 2011 and shall apply to all candidates for the degree, including those enrolling for the first time in that year and those enrolled subsequently.
12. The approved abbreviation for the degree of Master of Social Work shall be MSW.