1. [i] In these Specifications 'Faculty' means the Faculty of Arts.
[ii] The Faculty may accept as a candidate for the Graduate Certificate in Social Work Practice a person who has qualified at least for completion of the Bachelor of Social Work pass degree at the University of Tasmania or at a recognised tertiary education institution.
2. Candidates for the Graduate Certificate in Social Work Practice shall complete the certificate requirements, as hereinafter prescribed, in not less than one year (part time, 2 semesters) and not more than two years (part time, 4 semesters), from the time of first enrolment.
3. To qualify for the award, the candidate shall: pass 2 units at 25% comprising:
(a) HGW701 Reflective Practice or HGW703 Advanced Practice A in the first Semester 1; and
(b) HGW702 Context of Social Work Practice or HGW704 Advanced Practice B in the second Semester;
4. The units which may be included in a course for the award shall, unless otherwise approved by the Dean, be in accordance with the Schedule accompanying these specifications.
5. Units may be counted towards the award only if they have been taken in accordance with prerequisites determined by the faculty and as summarised in the Schedule.
6. A candidate normally may not enrol in any year in units totalling more than 50% weighting (2 units), or if the candidate is in full time employment during any given Semester, more than 25% (1 unit) weighting.
7. Where two or more units of the same name or content are offered within the University, only one may be counted towards the award.
8. In every case the candidates choice of units and the order in which they are taken shall be subject to approval by the Dean in accordance with the requirements of paragraph 3.
Credit for Previous Studies
9. Passes in subjects or units in other courses (completed or otherwise) in this University or another approved tertiary institution (or other approved professional examining body) may be credited towards the certificate, provided that the Faculty may specify what more a candidate so credited shall be required to do to qualify for the certificate
10. The Faculty may from time to time make amendments to the Schedules to these specifications.
11. These specifications shall take effect on 1 January 2010 and shall apply to all candidates for the certificate, including those enrolling for the first time in that year and those enrolled subsequently, and to any candidates who, having commenced their studies for the certificate prior to that date, have not passed in any units towards these certificates by that date.
12. Candidates who have passed in appropriate units towards the Graduate Certificate in Social Work Practice under the specifications in force prior to 1 January 2010 will be entitled to transfer to the Graduate Certificate in Social Work Practice with full equivalent credit, or to graduate in accordance with those degree specifications operating at the time of their admission to candidature.
13. The approved abbreviation for the degree of Graduate Certificate in Social Work Practice shall be GradCertSocWkPrac