[i] In these Specifications 'Faculty'- means the Faculty of Arts.
[ii] The Faculty may accept as a candidate for the award of Graduate Certificate in Visual Communication any of the following:
an applicant who has qualified for admission to a Bachelor of Visual Communication or Bachelor of Fine Arts degree or in an equivalent cognate discipline in the University of Tasmania;
an applicant who holds a degree of another university or tertiary institution approved by the Faculty for this purpose, and who is deemed by the Faculty to be equivalent to a candidate in paragraph (a);
a person who possesses such other qualifications and professional experience deemed by the Faculty to be sufficient to complete the course satisfactorily.
2. Candidates for the award shall complete the requirements, as hereinafter prescribed, in not less than one semester of full-time study and not more than one year, from the time of first enrolment.
3. To qualify for the award, the candidate shall successfully complete units totalling 50%, taken from the accompanying Schedule.
4. The units which may be included in a course for the award shall, unless otherwise approved by the dean, be in accordance with the Schedule of Units accompanying these specifications.
5. Units may be counted towards the award only if they have been taken in accordance with prerequisites determined by the Faculty of Arts and as summarised in the Schedule of Units accompanying these specifications.
6. Where two or more units of the same name or content are offered within the University, only one may be counted towards the award.
7. In every case the candidate's choice of units and the order in which they are taken shall be subject to approval by the dean in accordance with the requirements of paragraph 3.
Credit for previous studies
8. Passes in subjects or units by candidates towards incomplete honours or postgraduate coursework studies in another course (or other approved professional examining body) may be credited towards the award, provided that the Faculty may specify what more a candidate shall be required to do to qualify for the award.
9. The Faculty may from time to time make amendments to the Schedules to these specifications.
10. These specifications shall take effect on 1 January 2009 and shall apply to all candidates for the award, including those enrolling for the first time in that year and those enrolled subsequently. Students currently enrolled in the MVC will complete under the Specifications in force at the time of their first enrolment or transfer to the new Specifications providing that the Faculty ensures that no student shall be disadvantaged by the change.
11. The approved abbreviation for the award of Graduate Certificate in Visual Communication shall be GCVC.