1 A candidate for the degree of Bachelor of Music with Honours ('the degree') shall before commencing a course
of study for the degree:
[i] have qualified for admission to the degree of Bachelor of Music, or have qualified for admission to a degree in
another music course in another tertiary institution approved by the Conservatorium of Music ('the
Conservatorium') for this purpose;
[ii] have been accepted by the Conservatorium as having successfully completed a Pass degree in Music with
Distinction in performance or composition, have successfully completed at least two undergraduate level
music history and at least grades of Credit or better in other Year 3 units, or possess demonstrable equivalent
2 A candidate for the degree shall pursue a nominated course of study approved by the Director of the
Conservatorium of Music.
3 The course of study shall be the equivalent of one year's full-time work and shall be completed in one year from
the time at which the candidate enrols for the course. Provided that the dean or a representative of the dean:
[i] may permit a candidate to study on a part-time basis over a period not exceeding two consecutive years;
[ii] may allow a candidate whose work has been interrupted by illness or other unavoidable cause, to complete the
course over a longer period.
4 A candidate shall undertake a course of study in the following areas:
• 50% core units in Performance, Composition, Professional Practice, or Musicology
• FCA445 Music Research Methodology unit
• 1 x 12.5% elective, chosen from the approved elective schedule
• Honours and Postgraduate Research Forum
• Performance and Composition students: a written exegesis weighted at 25%
• Professional Practice students: a recording project weighted at 25%
• Musicology students: FCA442 or FCA443 Topics in Music unit and an additional 12.5% elective, chosen
from the approved elective schedule
5 The classes of Honours shall be First Class, Second Class and Third Class. There shall be an upper and lower
division in the Second Class.
6 These specifications shall take effect from 1 July 2012.
7 The approved abbreviation for the degree of Bachelor of Music with Honours will be BMus(Hons).